At some point, the State of Massachusetts took over the Veterans Hospital and its capacity was reduced to 600 beds. It served as an hospital for aging citizens and a research center for diseases relating to aging. In the 90s, it was all torn down except for the (Cushing) Chapel, the only structure remaining.
Dr. Harvey Cushing, whom the Hospital is named after, was a brilliant neurosurgeon and a brain surgery pioneer. A Cleveland native, he had many ties with the Boston Massachusetts area.
Cushing Hospital ca 1951. Thanks to USGS.
Cushing Hospital back when it was a military hospital. Picture taken at the South end looking North. Thanks to Images of America, Framingham.
Cushing Hospital today. The chapel is the only structure remaining. The pathways between the buildings show the hospital layout. Thanks to googlemaps.